Enhancing Your Outdoor Living Space for Spring and Summer
Early spring is the perfect time to prepare your southern lawn and outdoor living space for the warmer months ahead. While your lawn wakes up and the days grow longer, take advantage of the natural beauty around you by creating an outdoor space for you and your family to enjoy. Read on for a few simple tips that will help you create an outdoor oasis at your own home.
- Freshen up your potted plants. Your patio or porch will instantly feel cozier when you add some new plants to the mix. Pay attention to the amount of sunlight your porch or patio receives and choose varieties that are appropriate for less maintenance. Containers are also a great place for an herb garden — plant favorites like thyme, rosemary, parsley, cilantro, and mint. Not only will it look beautiful, but it will also yield a delicious addition to your meals.
- Consider a fire pit. If you love staying outdoors and taking advantage of the longer hours of sunlight this season, consider adding a fire pit and some seating to your patio. When the nights are cool, you’ll have enough warmth to enjoy staying outside. Make it fun for kids, too, by roasting hot dogs or marshmallows over the fire.
- Create ambiance with lighting. Lighting can turn a standard backyard, porch, or patio into a space that feels almost magical. String up some twinkle lights for ambient lighting or add outdoor lanterns with battery-powered candles for a low-maintenance and safe effect. Adding lighting will also increase the amount of time you can enjoy your outdoor space in the evenings.
- Pack a punch with color. To brighten up your porch or patio, add some colorful outdoor throw pillows to your seating. There are countless choices that would work for any décor style or color scheme — just be sure to choose an outdoor fabric that deflects mold and mildew and can be easily cleaned. If your budget allows, consider adding an outdoor rug to define your space and add even more color.
- Prepare your lawn. Warmer temps and longer days mean your family will be enjoying your lawn more. Combat the rougher parts of spring and summer by treating your lawn for fire ants, fleas, ticks, and mosquitos. Keep your lawn fertilized and regularly watered to help your grass bounce back from increased foot traffic.
No matter the size of your outdoor living area, you can create a place for you and your family to gather all spring and summer. By integrating elements that are beautiful in form and useful in function, you are sure to enjoy the outdoors throughout the warm months ahead.